April 20, 2008

I'll crumble 4 ya

I stink at writing headlines. At work I rely on the obvious ("Council approves budget") and not so obvious ("MICU comes home") for pathetic, usually last minute, inspiration. It is with the hope that you'll keep this in mind that I apologize for the title of this post, which is, all things considered, quite creative, don't you think? Bah, fine. George Michael, forgive me.

Another thing I just can't get a handle on is seasonal ingredients. Today I was supposed to make a crumble, a recreation of the rhubarb and apple version my mom swooned over at Chez Panisse a couple of weeks ago, the one I promised her I'd remake. I was sure I'd seen rhubarb stalks at the supermarket, which may be the root of the problem.

As a lifelong supermarket, rather that farmer's market, goer, I'm used to having access to pretty much whatever, whenever. I know the basics - pumpkin in fall, peas in spring, strawberries in summer, or something like that - but for the most part I buy what I find with little thought to what season it was when the item was snatched from it's home.


I was perfectly confident that rhubarb would be no problem to find. I'd seen it, for one, and Chez Panisse only serves food in season, for another. Sadly, this was no guarantee. Nary a rhubarb to be found at the Emerson Shop Rite or even Westwood's Trader Joes. Not even in the frozen section! What are supermarkets coming to these days?

But I had crumble on the brain and a lack of rhubarb wasn't about to derail me. The best part of crumbles is that they work with any fruits. Pineapple and mango? An option but the cool, cloudy New Jersey day didn't really warrant a tropical crumble. Strawberries? There were plenty at the store but it just seemed too easy. I finally settled on a combination of frozen cherries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, really just because they looked pretty in the picture on the bag. They were even lovelier in the pan, like melty rubies and amethyst bubbling around a crust of gold.

I hadn't tasted anything so delightful in ages: Sweet fruits. Tart lime. Nutty whole wheat topping. The only thing keeping me from polishing off the remaining half tonight is the oh so happy thought that I can devour it for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Oh crumble, I'll tumble 4 ya. (I couldn't resist.)

***

Berry-cherry crumble

Filling
1.5 lbs frozen mixed berries and cherries (available at Trader Joe's)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Juice of 1/2 lime

Crumble
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Butter, cold and diced, as needed (about 3-4 tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a saucepan, combine fruit, 2 tablespoons sugar and lime juice. Stir occasionally until heated, about five minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and sugars. Add butter as needed, working into dry ingredients with your hands until the mixtures is crumbly.

Pour fruit mixture into baking dish and cover with crumb topping. Bake about 35 minutes, until fruit is bubbly and crumb is crisp and golden.

Let cool about five minutes, or serve at room temperature, preferably with ice cream.

No comments: