January 4, 2008

Back it up

Now, who would go so far, do something so brash, as to post for the very first time without so much as introducing herself then wait more than one week before posting again?

I would, and did, and I apologize. In a not-so-fabulous but wholly Maggie move, I tried to make breakfast before getting out of bed and ended up with burned feet.

Yet, here we are. Or should I say here I am, as I am surely alone at the moment. The beginning... or where the beginning should have been.

I am currently 48 hours short of being exactly two years and eight months out of college; a scary thought for someone who wishes deep down that she could be a student forever. I majored in Film/TV production at NYU, minored in French, Middle Eastern Studies and Fine Arts, and, some would say, further sub-minored in eating and shopping my way through New York City, London, Paris and surrounding endroits.

Once kicked out of this academic and gastronomic splendor, I took a vocation that brought me as close to being a student without actually paying the astronomic fees excised to be one: a writer. I work full-time for a weekly newspaper and a lifestyle magazine, and freelance whenever I have the chance.

Which brings me to why I am here: There is no question that I like to write. What I've discovered is I like writing for me, a thought that makes me feel a little less lonely as I type away on this blog.

Why food? I also like (love!) to eat, and it is one topic that I just don't have the opportunity to write about at work. What this means is I inevitably end up talking incessantly about my new favorite ingredient, recipe, restaurant, which grows tiresome when not accompanied by dinner. So, my dear family and friends, rejoice! I've found a new way to get out of my system the stories about all the astonishly lovely things I put into, or long to put into, my system.

And that's it! I think. And if not, you'll hear about it on a future post. Because if you don't end up with burned feet a couple of times, you'll never know how good it feels to run.

No comments: