June 30, 2008

My dad's favorite things - Part 2

Every little girl has a particular archetypal image of her dad. It might be a powerful king, or a brave, armored knight. There's usually something shiny, be it a crown or shield for dad, and hopefully many shiny things for daughter. And a sword. Yes, there's almost always a sword, probably to help dad look like he can fight daughter's request for said shiny things.

But in my mind, my dad was no king and no knight. No siree, my dad was a cowboy. He was quiet and intense, had a penchant for slim cut jeans and getting his hands good and dirty. And rather than bestow on me shiny things, he gave me something far more valuable: a taste for beans.

While my sister pushed beans of all kinds - black, kidney, lima, chickpea - around and eventually off her plate, I watched my dad try to rescue them. He tasted something earthy and special in them, and while I couldn't sense that myself, I knew better than to leave them behind.

Today, I can taste what he tasted, and there really is something magical about them. They're meaty without being meat. Nourishing without being leafy. They can snap and they can be soft, warm or chilled. The key, as my dad taught me, is in the seasoning.


For Father's Day, dad got my version of beans. Black beans from the can, sure, but all gussied up in a mix of olive oil, lime juice, chili pepper and cumin. A little chopped onion for flavor, red bell pepper strips for crunch, and a quick chill in the fridge for good measure, the salsa-style bean salad was a perfect match for the brisket. And for pretty much every other meal we had that week. Like my dad, I always make too much.

***

Chili bean salad
There isn't much of a recipe for this. I used a can of black beans I found in the pantry and tossed it together with whatever I could find. Here's an approximation, but don't feel obligated to stick to the prescribed measurements. There aren't any supposed to's when a cowboy and his girl do the cooking.

Black beans
Onion, chopped
Red bell pepper, chopped
Fresh lime juice and olive oil, enough to make a dressing
Cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, to taste

Combine lime juice, olive oil and seasonings. Mix with vegetables. Refrigerate until chilled.

No comments: