July 7, 2008

Coming to terms with the Fourth



My reconciliation with the Fourth of July has been a long time coming. 


Childish as it may sound, most of my childhood memories of the nation's birthday involve the Fourth stealing my thunder. The "cool girl" in third grade couldn't come to my somewhat belated birthday party because her actual birthday was on July 4. Fireworks always upstaged even the sparkliest, un-blow-out-able candles. My mom told me the fireworks were for my birthday, but I knew she was lying. They were for America, and I didn't like it. I mean, let's face it, America has had her fair share of birthdays and was pretty old compared to me. She had her shot - time to step aside so I, a mere 7- (err 24-) year-old could get my proper birthday glory.


But this year was different. For one, on July 1 I turned 25, which is kind of a grown-up age no? And, more importantly, this was my first Fourth as an American citizen. That's right, after 20 years of living happily as an all-American child, this spring I became a bonafide American adult with the passport to prove it. 


I figured it was about time to settle my score with America and come to terms with sharing the Fourth. So, I baked her a cake. And she gave it back to me, candle and all, to share with my family as fireworks cracked softly in the distant night. 

***

Blueberry and Blackberry Galette with Cornmeal Crust
Adapted from Cooking Light, July 2008

I really messed this up. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but somehow a recipe that should have yielded 10 servings was enough for just me, my mom, my dad and Sandy. We're a family of mouths and bellies, but seriously...

Pastry:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup fat free buttermilk

Filling:
4 cups blueberries
2 cups blackberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Juice of 1 lime

Topping:
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 large egg white
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or turbinado sugar, if you happen to have it on hand)

To prepare pastry, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next three ingredients (through salt) in a food processor; pulse two times. Add butter to flour mixture; pulse 4 to 5 times or until mixture resembles course meal. With processor on, slowly add buttermilk through food chute; process just until dough forms a ball. Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap and cover. Chill 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Unwrap and place dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll dough into a 15-inch circle. Place dough and parchment on a baking sheet.

To prepare filling, combine berries and next 3 ingredients (through juice) in a medium bowl; toss gently to coat. Arrange berry mixture in center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edges of dough toward center, pressing gently to seal. Dough will only partially cover berry mixture. 

Combine fat-free milk and egg white in a small bowl, stirring well with a fork or whisk. Brush dough with the milk-egg mixture; sprinkle sugar evenly over dough. 

(My dough wouldn't stay sealed over the berries, so my mom and I wrapped it in the paper using toothpicks to secure it. Let it bake like this for 10 minutes until the dough sets and can hold its own shape, then remove toothpicks, undo the paper wrap, and continue to bake.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until pastry is golden brown. Let stand for 30 minutes then cut into wedges. 

Will serve 10 (or 4). 

No comments: